Uninstall Little Snitch 5
For instructions how to uninstall Little Snitch 4, see here.
In order to uninstall Little Snitch 5, just move the Little Snitch application from your Applications folder to the trash in Finder.
This will completely remove all components associated with Little Snitch, including all its system extensions and helper tools.
IMPORTANT: Do not remove the Little Snitch app by any other means (like Terminal or some third party app-removal tool) because otherwise macOS won’t remove the Little Snitch system extension!
Your configuration data will not be deleted. So, if you decide to reinstall Little Snitch at a later point, your rules and preferences will still be in place.
The configuration files are stored at the following locations
/Library/Application Support/Objective Development/Little Snitch ~/Library/Preferences/at.obdev.littlesnitch.plist ~/Library/Preferences/at.obdev.littlesnitch.agent.plist ~/Library/Preferences/at.obdev.littlesnitch.networkmonitor.plist ~/Library/Preferences/at.obdev.littlesnitch.softwareupdate.plist
The ~ (tilde character) refers to your home folder.
How to check if Little Snitch was successfully uninstalled
If you wish, you can then run the following two commands in a Terminal window to check if the uninstallation was successful:
Show all currently installed system extensions of Little Snitch
systemextensionsctl list | grep activated | grep at.obdev.littlesnitch
Show all currently running components of Little Snitch
ps -ax | egrep 'Little Snitch|littlesnitch' | grep -v grep
When Little Snitch is uninstalled, both commands should yield an empty result.
Due to a bug in macOS, the uninstallation may fail in some rare cases, causing the Little Snitch system extensions to remain installed after moving the app to the trash. To recover from this situation, please do the following:
- Reinstall the current version of Little Snitch 5 in your Applications folder (either by putting it back from the Trash or by downloading it from our website).
- Start the app with the Option key held down.
- You will be presented with a window showing the current installation status of all Little Snitch components.
- Click the lock icon at the bottom left corner of the window to authenticate as an administrator.
- Click on Network Extension and choose Uninstall.
- If the Endpoint Security system extension is shown as installed, uninstall it as well.
- Quit the app and move it to the Trash in Finder.
Was this help page useful? Send feedback.
© 2016-2023 by Objective Development Software GmbH